Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Rick's 29th Birthday

Rick has officially started his last year in his 20's. Next year will be the big 30... wow! 
On Rick's actual birthday, he was on a rotation that he was going to get home by about 4pm. I thought about making the cake during the day so it would be done and ready but Kimbri begged me to wait until after she got home from school to make it. So I figured I could have everything else ready and just focus on the cake as soon as she got home.

Well, as you can see from the first picture on this post the cake-making process did NOT go well, hahaha. Trying to cook a cake quickly and with 3 kids that are "helping" doesn't always work out so good. So yeah, I forgot to add the flour and this is how a cake turns out when you forget flour:


So, you would know that as soon as I pull out all the ingredients to start remaking the cake, I realize we used all the cocoa on the last cake. Greeeaaattt.... so I load up all the kids in the van as fast as possible and run down to the store to grab more cocoa. Rick totally beat us home and was there when we got back! A meltdown from Kimbri ensued because she REALLY wanted the cake to be a surprise. I explained to Rick what happened and he took the kids all upstairs to play while I began remaking the cake. 

And then this happened:


Of course my whisk would decide to break in the middle of making the new cake! Luckily I had pretty much finished using it but still, the craziness of it all!

The first cake vs. the second cake.

The second cake actually turned out
really yummy and great!

A birthday picture from Garrett to Dad.

To go with the Texas sheet cake, we also got Moose Tracks
ice cream because that's a kind Rick really likes.

Left: picture of a cake with candles from Kimbri
Right: picture from Garrett to Dad.

Kimbri wrote this birthday card to Daddy

More cards for dad from Kimbri.

I forgot to mention that the main birthday present for Rick was a new tv! We got a tv for our wedding that was just a little bigger than the size of a computer monitor, (read: very small) and recently Rick has been talking of maybe saving up for a big tv someday. Cosette heard of his wish and gathered money from her parents and some of their siblings and then I put in some money I had earned from Etsy and we were able to give him cash to go pick out a new tv! He was completely surprised and soooo excited about it! It was really nice of Cosette to do that! 

As a side note, in the middle of the whole cake fiasco, I received these flowers on the front porch from Zach and Jessica. They work together and had decided to send me some flowers because they said Cosette had mentioned Rick had just finished a crazy rotation where we didn't get to seem hime much. It was so thoughtful of them and the flowers were so beautiful. It meant so much to me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment