Saturday, August 22, 2015

Car Accident

About one and a half weeks before my due date with Brenna, we got in a car accident. We had spent the morning as a family at the YMCA pool and had decided that we wanted to go pick up some food for lunch on our way home. We were just driving along minding our own business when another car pulled out to apparently try to turn left and didn't see us and hit our front right side of the Acura! We were going 45 mph and Rick hit the break hard but we still collided. By the time we hit it was probably only around 25 mph. So not terrible but hard enough to do some damage! I couldn't believe it. Their car flew up over the median and did some sort of 360 thing back over the median and landing in front of our car. Thank heavens there happened to be no oncoming traffic or stopped cars in that lane, as it was pretty close to a busy intersection. And wow, I don't know how their car didn't flip. It was a little car and it literally hit the median and bounced over and then bounced back. 

It all happened so fast that when both cars had stopped moving after the hit, we were just stunned. I was an emotional basket case because of being so pregnant and worried about Brenna inside me. We were just sitting there and I started panicking since there were 3 lanes of traffic on just our side of the median so I was worried another car was gonna hit us from the back. We motioned to the other car to try and move over and pull into the parking lot closest to where we were.

A witness stopped and gave her info in case the police would need it. The cops showed up and a fire truck (which Garrett loved) and an ambulance. We figured we didn't need the ambulance as we were literally like a block from the hospital and said we could just drive there ourselves. Nobody was hurt and in need of a hospital, but we did want to go just to get Brenna checked out to make sure she was still moving around inside me... mostly just for piece of mind to make sure she was ok.

The other driver totally admitted fault, which was a good thing since it was completely their fault! They gave us their insurance info and we filled out the police report, etc... Now it's just a matter of getting everything figured out with insurance to get our car fixed and replacing car seats and all that fun stuff that is such a pain. But I'm just grateful everyone was fine and there were no injuries. It definitely startled me and stressed me out more emotionally since I was so close to my due date and worried about Brenna.

Anyway, we decided to head home and drop the kids off at our house and my wonderful cousin, Jeralyn, came and watched them for us while Rick took me to the hospital to get Brenna monitored and checked out. I'm SO grateful she was willing to do that! I didn't know who else to call!

They found her heartbeat right away and did some sort of shock test where they check to see if she responds with movement to a small shock on my stomach and she did :) It was nice to have the peace of mind that she was fine! They waited for my blood pressure to go down (I was still pretty freaked out!) and then released us. It was quite the experience and I'm grateful that we ended up all being fine and safe!


The new car seats that we got from the insurance company. A nice upgrade from our old ones! They love the built-in cup holders. 



Editing this post with the "after" picture once the insurance paid for repairs. I'm pretty sure it came back fro the shop looking better than it did even before the accident!





No comments:

Post a Comment